Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Money Rant

Today I painted Nila and I's fingernails and while I painted, we watched the BBC news while waiting for Arthur to come on.  I usually don't watch the news and here's why:  I just get infuriated.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  Of the few items I saw, one was about the condition of Haiti, one year after the earthquake and the other was about the diminishing coral reefs, essential for a healthy ocean, and how one of the contributing causes was the use of explosives to kill all the fish and get a good catch.  In Haiti, not only are they still clearing rubble and uncovering the bodies of lost one, but there is a cholera epidemic spreading.  Neither of these two news items make sense to me.  In both cases, money was the reason for both.  In Haiti, it was a lack of funds and resources, which strikes me as unbelievable given the wealth of so much of the world.  Images of a home I recently visited where thousands of dollars had been spent on tons of useless crap stacked all around the house, and much more rumored to sit in storage units, themselves a useless expense...and that's just one house of millions.  Why don't folks like that spend their disposable incomes making the world a better place????  I'm not even saying all of it...just some.  For Christ's sake.  On the coral reefs, the use of explosives is tolerated because it assures a good catch and makes good (short term) economic sense, though in a rather frightening way, dooms the world.  They talked about how they are trying to push conservation efforts by flouting the efforts as making economic sense.  the health of the oceans, and therefore the planet, has to make economic sense.  I don't get it.  I simply don't get it and that's why I don't watch the news.  It makes me think the world is crazy.  To add to the ludicrocity (a word I just made up on the spot) most of the world claim to be Christian.  I want to ask them, modest proposal style, what their relationship is worth...monetarily, and if it makes economic sense to continue to worship a God that they don't really seem to believe in.  Or they do believe and for some reason think God is behind them all the way, despite all his harping against gluttony.  So that's all for now.  I need a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment